Privacy notice

This is the privacy notice for David Linden, an elected Member of the House of Commons.

Who we are

I am David Linden, elected member for Glasgow East constituency, and a member of the Scottish National Party.

My contact details are as follows:
Address: Suite 11, Academy House, 1346 Shettleston Road, Glasgow, G32 9AT
Phone: 0141 778 1177

Why do I need your personal information and what do I do with it?

As an elected member, I will only be able to look into concerns which you raise if I can use your personal information, for example so I can contact you with the result of my inquiries. I also receive information about individuals from third parties such as where constituents raise queries or complaints about other people.

Legal basis for using your information

When you give me your personal information I will process it under the Public Task legal basis.

Where I have been given information about other people then I use this information because it is necessary for me to use it for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest, in order for me to carry out my functions as an elected member.

For some activities, I also need to process more sensitive personal information about you for reasons of substantial public interest as set out in the Data Protection Act 2018. It is necessary for me to process this more sensitive information for a number of reasons including:

  • to carry out key functions as set out in law; or
  • in order to protect your vital interests or the vital interests of others in circumstances.

Who do I share your information with?

As an elected member of the House of Commons I would normally pass your details, and the detail of the situation you have sought my help about, with relevant third parties in order to allow the them to look into the issue. I do not generally pass personal details of constituents who contact me to anyone else unless I am required to do so by law or where this is in connection with a criminal investigation.

International transfers

All data which I hold is held within the UK.

How long will I keep your information for?

I will only keep your personal information for the duration of the parliamentary term, which means normally for a maximum of five years.

Your rights under data protection law

  • access to your information – you have the right to request a copy of the personal information that I hold about you.
  • correcting your information – I want to make sure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up to date. Therefore you may ask me to correct any personal information about you that you believe does not meet these standards.
  • Deletion of your information – you have the right to ask me to delete personal information about you where:
    1. you think that I no longer need to hold the information for the purposes for which it was originally obtained;
    2. you think that I no longer need to hold the information to carry out Public Task activity;
    3. you have a genuine objection to my use of your personal information – see Objecting to how I may use your information below; or
    4. my use of your personal information is contrary to law or other legal obligations.

Objecting to how I may use your information

You have the right at any time to tell me to stop using your personal information for direct marketing purposes. I will only use the information you provide to provide you with general updates on my activity as a Member of Parliament (my newsletter) with your consent.

Restricting how I may use your information

In some cases, you may ask me to restrict how I use your personal information. This right might apply, for example, where I am checking the accuracy of personal information that I hold about you. This right might also apply if I no longer have a basis for using your personal information but you don't want me to delete the data. Where this right is realistically applied will mean that I may only use the relevant personal information, for legal claims or where there are other public interest grounds to do so.

Information I hold about other people:

Most of the personal information I hold relates to people who have approached me in connection with a particular issue. However I also hold information about other people as well, where this has been given to me in connection with such an issue. In some cases I will contact these other people directly to inform them that I have been provided with information about them (and also to tell them about their rights under data protection law and advise them about the terms of this privacy notice) but in many cases this is impractical. I will normally hold third party information in connection with attempts to get the council to take some sort of enforcement action and it would not be appropriate for me to contact third parties in these sorts of circumstances.

Profiling or automated decision-making processes

I do not make use of automated decision-making processes or profiling.


If you are unhappy about how I have handled your personal information I would be happy if you raised this with me directly in the first instance. However, you also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office, who can be contacted by post at: Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF. By phone on 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745. Visit their website for more information at